Find Me On:
I’ve always compared the National to a good Belgian Trippel. It is complicated on the pallette but smooth going down and it’s as strong as shit. Too much at one setting and your fucked up for hours. I’m not too sure that is such a bad thing because there is a comfort to this hammering. This album just adds to that metaphor, in fact it might be the most intoxicating of the bunch, maybe because it is the freshest but this melencholy is so what I need right now. The guitar dancing around the words on I need my girl in a double helix is why I love this band. They can wrap me up in a comfort cloud of pure aural bliss.
Man I’ve been waiting for this list for a while and it is heightened after scoring good seats to see them at the greek this summer but man what a blood buzzkill. Also looking at others lists I realized that I may be the only one that is in love with start a war. I love high violet maybe as much as this guy but this list just let me down because lists are so powerful that can swing my emotions maybe the national should write a song about apathy toward blog top tens, then it could make this lists top.
Speaking of Win win Think you can wait would make my top ten.
You guys smoke hipster crack! You’re too OG national to appreciate a brilliant song. I can understand this list has glaring holes but to say blood buzz was a misstep is downright asinine.
With Morrissey like The Big Lebowski it’s the one liners that rattle in your brain and then sink in your soul and stay with you until there is appropriate time when you quote it and sound like the witty genius who actually wrote them. So with that said my top ten have such one liners that have never left me, it would be different if I could include Smiths song but even narrowing down solo stuff is tough enough.
10. Alma Matters. So : the choice I have made May seem strange to you But who asked you, anyway ? It’s my life to wreck My own way
9. Some People I know : They break their necks And can’t afford to Get them fixed
8. King Leer : Well, could it be He’s only got one knee ? & I crept up behind you
With a homeless chihuahua
7. Driving Your Girlfriend Home : Not for the lyrics but just the feel of the song maybe one of his most smithesque songs (yes that is a good thing).
6. Irish Blood English Heart : This was his comeback and a solid one at that.
5. Sing Your Life : Any fool can think of words that rhyme & make no mistake my friend your pointless life will end
4. The End of The Family Line : Until I arrived (with incredible style) a beautifully heartbreaking song.
3. Such a Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference : Can you Write? & Most people keep their brains between their legs.
2. Suedehead : just a perfectly brilliant pop song.
1. Disappointed : I can listen to this over and over.
Young girl, one day you will be old
But the thing is, I love you NOW
Mmm …This is the last song I will ever sing (Yeah!)
No: I’ve changed my mind again (Aaw…)
AND THANK YOU
Truly truly truly
Reverse running amok in my brain right now
I’m looking at you Lakers!
It on NPR first Listen full of Fire is on spotify
My buddy referred to his 70′s funk to what a brother’s Gibb circle Jerk would smell like. I can’t wait to see how he describes this.
Them is a great suggestion to see old chap-ass himself doing mystic eyes would be heaven on earth
Facts are subjective here! There Is A Light That Will Never Go Out is the best song ever recorded in history. Happy Hyperbole Smiths fans.
Does Josh Ritter get no love here? Have you heard Joy to you baby?
I think I hear Melo outside your house being restrained.
This list has finally forced me to reply because with everyone of these listomania’s my favorites are underrepresented or not listed at all so maybe I have terrible taste or you all are too cool for me but I truly dig The entire Heaven album but Song for Leigh is a gem, so it would definitely be in my top 5 Walkmen songs.